August is National Back to School Month, and the upcoming school year is quickly approaching! For all you parents out there, this one’s for you! From backpacks and pencils to hand sanitizer and masks, this year’s back-to-school shopping list may be a bit longer as you stock up for learning and safety. Since every moment counts, use this guide to get ready for the highly anticipated day (at least by you) when the yellow school bus finally arrives.
- Suit up your little ones in style when they head out the door. As they seem to be growing in leaps and bounds these days, why not keep it affordable? Check out the gently used clothing at Once Upon a Child or Clothes Mentor.
- One of the best parts of back-to-school shopping is the smell of fresh new pencils and finding the perfect matching set of folders, notebooks, and pens. Fill your cart with the essentials, and outfits too, at Target, Meijer, or Walmart. Don’t forget to buy some extra reusable masks while you’re out.
- For recess or gym class, athletic shoes are a must. Run on over to Gazelle Sports to have your child properly fitted so they’ll be able to jump higher and run faster than the competition. For those headed off to high school or college, consider some activewear from Kamili for comfort and action.
- It may be time to let the mullet go. Visit Samson’s Haircare and Barbershop for a truly awesome experience for men’s haircuts or beard trims.
- If your little pupils have tired of you filling the role of teacher, Sylvan Learning Center of Portage can lead class or tutor for you. Their flexible and affordable learning options fit with most busy schedules.
- Stop fighting for the Wi-Fi during homework time. Locally, CTS Telecom and AT&T can get you connected.
- With the pandemic still on, doctor’s visits that used to be routine are trickier to schedule these days. Make appointments ahead of time at providers associated with Ascension Borgess or Bronson, as well as noting COVID testing sites like those offered by OptiMed Health Partners.
- Refuel during your shopping day or pre-plan your school week meal plan with a stop in or take out order from these local eateries: Breakfast at Tiffiny’s, Buffalo Wild Wings, Dickey’s Barbecue Pit, Little Caesars, Grand Traverse Pie Company, Hunan Gardens, MOD Pizza, Olga’s Kitchen, or any of the Millennium restaurants.
- Afterwards, celebrate a fabulous find with a treat from Confections with Convictions, Layla’s Cool Pops, or SweetDuet Frozen Yogurt.
Brought to you by the Southwest Michigan First Chamber.