The month of June is National Camping Month! Whether it’s from a tent, hammock, RV, trailer, or cabin, our region is the perfect place to enjoy the great outdoors and explore the natural beauty of our state. The good news is that, here in Southwest Michigan, you don’t have to be a wilderness expert to partake in all the fun. Our neck of the woods is bursting with distilleries, breweries, ice cream joints, museums, wineries, diners, fruit farms, hiking trails, and so many more fun activities to enjoy during a weekend away. There are even glamping vacation spots if you’re more of a glamorous camping type. All of this and more is why Southwest Michigan was recognized as one of the top 20 Best Places to Go in the world in 2020 by Condé Nast Traveler. Pack your bags, get the gear, and roll out to explore these nine awesome local camping destinations and more!
- The sandy beach and tall dunes at Van Buren State Park are only a short walk away from the site’s clean and spacious campground. The beautiful state park is also only a short drive from downtown South Haven which means no shortage of places to explore.
- With over 50 beautiful acres along the Brush Creek in Lawrence, Brush Creek Campground has 125 wooded lots, both primitive and modern, for you to unwind and relax.
- Black River Trails Campground in South Haven is a sanctuary for those who love the outdoors. You’ll fall even more in love with nature as peaceful walks, lazy river kayaking, and star filled nights around the campfire are all on the horizon.
- Forest Lake in South Haven is a man-made lake built specifically for those who love water skiing. This oasis also has reservations available to camp and enjoy all of the fun.
- There are endless recreational opportunities at Warren Dunes State Park with three miles of shoreline, six miles of hiking trails, and a rugged dune formation that rises 260 feet above the lake and offers spectacular views.
- Camping is just part of the fun at Paw Paw River Campground and Canoes in Watervliet. Rent a canoe or tubes and float along parts of the 68-mile canoe/kayak trail from Paw Paw to the St. Joseph River in Benton Harbor.
- Dune Lake Campground near St. Joseph offers miniature golf, a playground, hiking trails, a volleyball court, horseshoe, badminton, and a basketball court. That’s in-tents.
- Luxury isn’t a word usually associated with camping, but The Fields in South Haven takes glamping to a whole new level. With complimentary homemade meals, cozy tents, and local fresh fruit pie, we’re not sure you could even call this camping.
- Harbor Country Cabins in Sawyer is another luxury camping experience that takes the mess out of camping. Here you’ll find tiny cabins equipped with all of the essentials surrounded by an area of Southwest Michigan with endless potential for fun.