We are raising our glass to all of the local distillers that add spirit to Michigan on National Craft Distillery Day! Local craft distilleries are on the rise (almost like a Phoenix rising from the ashes) and producing award-winning spirits. “We found a niche in a community that we love and the possibilities are endless,” explained Joanna Merrill, owner of Kalamazoo Stillhouse. “It’s comforting for us to support other local businesses, and we do that as much as we can. Michigan is an agricultural mecca, with grains, botanicals, and other flavors and natural resources right here in our backyard.” Is that you looking down upon us and smiling, Dionysus?
Recently distillers have shifted their production to support our community in a different way, doing their part to lift spirits in the fight against COVID-19. You can now get locally-crafted hand sanitizer from most distillers, including Journeyman Distillery, Green Door Distilling, Kalamazoo Stillhouse, Grand Traverse Distillery, St. Julian, and Long Road Distillers. Cheers to the local craft distillers who are working hard during this time to keep our glasses full and our community safe! And with the warm summer weather heading our way, it’s no myth that a refreshing cocktail is the perfect way to support local makers and celebrate your Michigan pride! Enjoy the list of some of the best craft distillers that we’ve bottled up from our region and just beyond its borders.
- Green Door Distilling Company is on an adventure producing award-winning spirits since 2016 as Kalamazoo’s first distillery. Its love of Michigan and commitment to honoring Kalamazoo’s rich distilling history shines through its craft. Read more about Green Door’s Kalamazoo roots.
- Kalamazoo is not just in the name at The Kalamazoo Stillhouse; owners Nic and Joanna Merrill have called our community home their whole lives. Their lineup of honest spirits includes the Bronson Park Gin—a tribute to the distillery’s home in downtown Kalamazoo.
- Journeyman Distillery has got it all going on in Three Oaks, with a full restaurant, event spaces, and an 18-hole putting green. All of Journeyman’s spirits are certified organic and kosher, steeped in family history, and poured with love. Learn more with this shot glass-size company snapshot.
- Long Road Distillers has been shaking things up on the distillery scene since 2015 in Grand Rapids’ west side. With over 70 awards and accomplishments for their spirits and business under their belt, taking the long road has proved to be the best route.
- Grand Rapids is also home to Eastern Kille Distillery, which has been making waves in West Michigan and beyond. Its signature spirit—the Michigan Straight Bourbon Whiskey—distilled with Great Lakes pride (and water!), is one that Michiganders can call their own.
- While wine might be on your mind when thinking of St. Julian, the Paw Paw-based producer of Grey Heron Vodka, rum, brandy, and gin, has been passionate about Michigan’s farms and fruit for almost a century.
- It’s all Pure Michigan at Grand Traverse Distillery, with tasting rooms around the state. Sourcing grains from within a few miles of the distillery, you could say that everything about Grand Traverse Distillery is, well…grand.
- Expanding beyond the still, Bier Distillery produces a growing line of beer, wine, and spirits at its Comstock Park tasting room and bar. After all, with the word “bier” in the name, which is Dutch and German for beer, they just had to add beer to the lineup.