The sports scene looks a lot different this fall with the cancellation or postponement of many fall sports, but this doesn’t mean you can’t get out and get your own game on come Friday nights or Saturday afternoons. It’s no big dill because our region has several convenient and state-of-the-art pickleball courts to show people what you’re made of. Pickleball is a paddleball sport that combines elements of tennis, badminton, and table tennis into one all-out fun game you can enjoy this fall with family and friends. To get in on the action, first read up on the rules of the sport and then check out this list of seven places in our area to volley it out:
- In Kalamazoo, visit Crane Park to play on the new pickleball courts that are located atop Westnedge hill in the beautiful 10-acre garden park.
- Located in northeast Portage, Lexington Green Park has pickleball courts as well as walking trails and picnic shelters so you can make a day of it.
- Frays Park in Kalamazoo received park improvements in 2018 that included the installation of new tennis and pickleball courts among many other updates. Head to the park to enjoy it all!
- It’s fun in the sun at Ramona Park in Portage, where you can cool off after a competitive match of pickleball at the beach on Long Lake.
- With 26 acres along the shores of Austin Lake, Lakeview Park is a beautiful spot to get your pickleball game on.
- A new pickleball court was a welcome addition to Henderson Tot Lot in 2018, completing the lineup along with an outdoor ping pong table, a gaga pit, and a new picnic shelter.
- Oakland Drive Park in Portage has pickleball courts situated among the mature trees that offer shade and a gorgeous view.