PUBLIC POLICY DIRECTOR
- Are you driven to help others succeed?
- Do you thrive on solving problems?
- Do you have a passion for relationship building with public servants?
- Can you be non-partisan?
- Are you mission and constituent driven?
- Do you have high ethical standards?
In this position, you will employ your unique skills to do meaningful work critical to the success of both Southwest Michigan First and the community as a whole. As a public policy director, you will work as an aggressive advocate for the region, build local leadership capacity and expand the influence and impact of Southwest Michigan First. Your responsibilities will include but are not limited to conducting regular written and oral communications with the Public Policy Committee, Southwest Michigan First, Board of Directors, Chamber members and Local Elected Officials. The public policy director will be responsible for implementing an annual election and appointment school, develop and execute a regional public policy agenda and facilitate all public policy committee activities.
The core knowledge required for this position are as follows; Michigan and local government regulations, Michigan campaign laws, economic development, regional history and culture. Must have extensive experience in governmental relations, lobbying, public-policy, legislative and/or political environments and excel at relationship-building and winning stakeholder buy-in internally and with policymakers, community partners, public servants and influencers.
The position is designed for ambitious individuals to maintain our robust partnership approach and support appropriate public policy and legislative activities to maintain and enhance investment for critical community issues. If the community and relationship building is your passion, we’re looking for you! Submit your resume and cover letter for consideration today!
The ideal candidate is seeking a career in public policy, community development and economic development. The position is designed for ambitious individuals who want to impact their community as they further develop important skills critical to a successful career and:
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Business, Public Administration, Economics or related field.
- Efficient, driven and able to self-manage.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must execute with the highest attention to detail.
- Meeting deadlines on or before schedule is a no-brainer.
- Anticipates needs and exceeds expectations.
- Can operate within a team, but not need the team to drive productivity.
- Able to take direction and redirection in a positive manner.
- Ability to work with diverse stakeholders.
- Committed to putting excellence into all work.
Interested? Apply now through Indeed! All applications require:
- Cover Letter
About Southwest Michigan First
Southwest Michigan First is an organization of privately funded economic development advisors who act as the catalyst for economic success in Southwest Michigan. Founded in 1999 on the principle that the greatest force for change is a job, the organization works across all industries throughout the seven countries making up the Southwest Michigan region.
Southwest Michigan First provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Southwest Michigan First complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
THIS JOB POST WAS SPONSORED BY SOUTHWEST MICHIGAN FIRST.