In this role, the President & CEO is the executive responsible for the overall day-to-day operations of Discover Kalamazoo, carrying out duties under the guidance and direction of the Board of Directors. Executive responsibilities include the oversight of organization strategy, community relations/public affairs, budgeting, sales/marketing/business development, and management and development of all personnel.
- Drive strategy and develop goals
- Foster synergy among all aspects of sales, marketing, and business development
- Encourage growth and inspire learning within a talented team of professionals
- Advance and expand community relationships and partnerships
- Carry forth the mission of sharing Kalamazoo with everyone
And this is just the start of a journey with Discover Kalamazoo, the official destination marketing organization for Kalamazoo County. We recruit meetings, events, and conferences, that create a positive economic impact throughout our community. We connect planners with local businesses and provide information and resources to both visitors and residents. We find every way possible to share our love of our community and let others know why Kalamazoo is the perfect place for a unique getaway, meeting, or event. Join us as we work to share Kalamazoo with everyone, inspiring visitors, and residents to discover Kalamazoo.
Essential Functions: A qualified individual with a disability must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Manage, direct, and develop the Discover Kalamazoo team of employees.
- Develop and administer organizational, departmental, and management team goals and strategies.
- Ensure the viability of the organization through targeted sales, marketing, and business development opportunities.
- Acquire, advance, and expand community relationships to effectuate productive partnerships in Kalamazoo County.
- Maintain excellent working relationships and communication with appropriate Kalamazoo County elected and appointed officials, reporting key metrics, and overseeing accountability for the requirements of the Accommodations Tax Ordinance.
- Oversee the negotiation and administration of the Management Agreement.
- Establish and administer budgets to support organizational goals.
- Oversee governance and administration of the organization, ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and ordinances, corporate by-laws, and best practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in advertising, marketing, hospitality, or related fields, or equivalent experience in the same.
- Ten (10) years’ experience in related field or industries.
- Five (5) to seven (7) years’ experience in sales, marketing, and business development.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ demonstrated leadership experience including training, coaching, and motivating a team.
- Ability to develop and cultivate strong partnerships and relationships, locally and otherwise.
- Strong, clear communicator with excellent interpersonal skills; proven ability to effectively communicate and influence others, including partners, the public, and all levels within the organization.
- Demonstrated track record building diverse teams and partnerships.
- Exhibits excellent emotional intelligence through humility, transparency, a willingness to accept defeat and challenge norms, leadership through service, and a great sense of humor.
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency, prioritizes well, shows high energy, goal-driven, responds to opportunities, instills urgency in others, and meets deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office applications and the ability to learn CRM software.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time, including evenings and weekends.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- A self-starter with excellent critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills.
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Ability to obtain industry certifications.
- Familiarity with the Kalamazoo area, including local business owners and the hospitality industry.
- Ability to speak and understand languages other than English.