Grand Valley State University Battle Creek Regional Outreach Center supports career exploration and provides individualized educational planning assistance to facilitate educational goal attainment. The center, located in downtown Battle Creek, also supports the educational goals of K-12 students, transfer students, and adults in the community and Southwest Michigan, while providing resources to assist Battle Creek Public Schools in their district transformation.
Grand Valley State University invites applications for a Professional Support Staff position in Battle Creek. The Office Coordinator acts as a liaison between department supervisor and staff and/or campus and community and will work directly with the Vice Provost for Health. This position coordinates a variety of duties and is responsible for generating materials such as reports, correspondence, and forms, performing clerical duties such as receiving visitors, answering the telephone, taking messages, and scheduling appointments. This position also supervises student employees and helps coordinate special events and functions.
RESPONSIBILITIES – Essential Functions:
- Receives information in various forms and determines the appropriate method of processing.
- Responsible for the coordination/completion and the quality of the clerical work for the department/office which includes answering telephones, providing information, or routing calls to appropriate person; open and route incoming mail and prepare outgoing mail, including bulk mailings; correspondence; maintain an office filing system.
- Responsible for creating, maintaining, and updating files and record-keeping systems; paper and/or computerized.
- Compiles and logically formats statistical data and reports.
- Disseminates information that may require explanation and interpretation of established university and departmental policies and procedures, and directs individuals to sources of additional information.
- Monitors departmental budget reviews budget reports and reconciles the reports with the department/office’s records.
- Generates reports, memorandums, correspondence, presentation materials spreadsheets and graphics, and other similar materials using computer systems.
- Create and maintain database systems.
- Performs and coordinates scheduling tasks and support services associated with preparing and making arrangements for major meetings, conferences, exhibits, travel, or other related duties for both internal and external contacts.
- Answer or refer inquiries from students, faculty, staff, and the general public regarding established policies and procedures; answer routine inquiries; and schedule appointments and meetings, facilities, and events.
- Responsible for ordering office supplies; process various university forms.
- Supervise student employees and may act as a lead worker to other PSS.
- Process student employee UltraTime and maintain appropriate records monitoring available dollars.
- Manage/maintain supervisor’s schedule
- Coordinate all clerical duties associated with staff searches.
- Conducts special projects and assignments as directed.
- Coordinates special events and functions.
- Coordinate and maintain departmental resources, i.e. library, vouchers, handouts.
- Proofread and correct materials; edits grammatical errors.
- Acts as a liaison between department supervisor and department staff and/or campus and Battle Creek community.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Make travel arrangements.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Minimum of three years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain positive intercultural and interpersonal relationships.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully operate office equipment.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully provide quality customer service.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Typing and spelling competency.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully use various computer software applications.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work independently, organize own work, and coordinate work activities of others.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully perform mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Excellent grammar and proofreading skills.
- Some college course work.
- Higher education experience.
- Supervisory experience.