Director of Programming and Production is responsible for booking diverse talent that is relevant to our community, and ensuring that all aspects of each event run smoothly from inquiry through settlement.
The Kalamazoo State Theatre has been a fixture in downtown Kalamazoo since 1927. The historic atmospheric style vaudeville house and movie palace is now home to concerts, comedy, special films, and private events.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Summary: Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Create an event prospect list for approval.
- Contact Promoters, Artists, Tour Managers, and Representative Agents to secure Performers/Bands/Acts/Events for KST.
- Liaise with Bands, Labels, and Management to agree upon a window for show dates, financial, and logistical requirements of the event.
- Complete expense/revenue analysis for each proposed show prior to recommending the event to the Executive Director for booking and signing contracts; including but not limited to establishing itemized payouts, rider, guest list, and equipment needed.
- Book events within the parameters established by Company.
- All Artists and Promoters shall comply with the Company’s rules and regulations.
- Manage all financial and logistical matters, making sure that the requirements of an Artist are met.
- Network to develop and maintain relationships with a variety of Venues, Artists, and Promoters, making regular contact to gain and increase opportunities and performances for KST.
- Keep co-workers informed of activities or required tasks and participate in regular team meetings to share goals, strategies, and schedules to maximize performance revenue and bookings.
- Assist Company in compliance with all laws, regulations, and permits necessary for show performance.
In Advance of the Show:
- Coordinate contract, cost, and rider requirements for each show including lighting, sound, and meet & greet with the Events’ Management Team (e.g. Tour Manager and/or Production Manager).
- Schedule backline needs.
- Schedule arrival/departure of contracted technicians including lights, sound, and stagehands.
- Inform the House Manager of all security or additional usher staff needed for Artist(s), backstage or meet & greets.
- Discuss with Box Office Manager info on the show set up, attendance, meet & greets and special camera/recording policies, etc. prior to on sale (or as soon as arranged) to ensure customers are properly informed and ticketing settings are accurate.
- Notify Concessions Manager of any meet & greet that requires additional bar staff or extended/early hours for bar staff for scheduling to be adjusted.
- Communicate hotel/parking/transportation requirements to appropriate parties.
- Schedule catering and/or Runner for the day of show.
- Provide a local merchandise seller’s information to Tour Manager if needed.
- Distribute Advance to appropriate parties and post-show schedule.
Day of Show
- Provide excellent customer service, always mindful that the actions of the State Theatre staff are a direct reflection of the State Theatre itself.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Demonstrated understanding and passion for the performing arts and live entertainment industry.
- Minimum of 5 years of industry experience required, 10+ years preferred.
- Excellent networking and negotiation skills required.
- Familiarity with TM reporting and technology is a plus.
- Experience in accounting with excel to prepare multiple reports including P&L and show settlements.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, even temperament, and ability to supervise effectively.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, oral and written, including follow-up via email and phone.
- High level of organization and attention to detail with excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize.
- Ability to have fun, stay calm, and work with others in a sometimes stressful, fast-paced, energetic environment.
- Strong work ethic, reliable and self-motivated, with an ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Creative brainstorming skills, ability to take initiative, strategize, set and meet high standards.
- Ability to work flexible hours, accommodating the Theatres event schedule.
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Music/Arts, Production and/or Business Management preferred.
Email capable phone (be available via email, cell, and text), valid
Driver’s License and reliable transportation.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to reach with hands and arms; speak loudly and clearly; hear and respond in busy and noisy environments. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and will occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities include color, close, distance, and peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vision Insurance
Schedule: Monday to Friday and Weekends
Experience: 5 years (Preferred)
Education: Bachelor’s (Preferred)
Company’s website: www.kazoostate.com
Work Remotely: Temporarily due to COVID-19
This Job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
The Hinman Company and Mardi Gras Enterprises, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Our Values: We are a team of smart, resourceful, hardworking, action-oriented people thinking creatively and outside the box. We have a hunger for achievement, a sense of urgency, and a will to win. We are trustworthy, respectful, and honest. The foundation of our business is to understand and meet the needs of our customers. We take ownership in our efforts and strive to create value in everything we do.